Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Lifestyle Changes (So far)

We have been making so many big lifestyle changes around here.
 
I am going to start this post with what has to be probably the most simple, "duh" change of all.
We have started eating at the table. Yes you read that right, eating at the table. Until recently, our dining room table was one of many catch all spots around my house. I am not very good at keeping a tidy home, it isn't something I am proud of. Anyway, I cleaned off the dining room table as well as started to un-clutter the rest of the house. I realize I am big on Gage knowing that it is important to help those who aren't as fortunate as we are and I try to show him that by having him donate toys he is no longer interested in playing with. I don't want him to just throw them out, I want him to realize that he is giving those toys to an organization that will get them to children who have no toys at all. How could I teach my son these things when in more ways than I want to admit the term hoarder can be used in my case. How is he going to learn if I don't lead by example? But back to the table, we have started turning off electronics at dinner time and enjoying each others company at the dinner table. Gage has shown a little resistance but usually ends up eating with us and talking about what he is learning as well with very little fight. We turn off the TV, no cell phones allowed and we actually have conversations. It is a wonderful change and I only wish we would have done it sooner.
 
I decided that in an effort to better appreciate our new lifestyle it wouldn't be a bad idea to have at least an herb garden. Las Vegas doesn't really scream farm country in my opinion, I could be wrong and if I am please correct me. I chose to go with an indoor herb garden. I think I have a much better chance at keeping something potted alive as opposed to trying to maintain an outdoor garden. For now. I do have near future, like as soon as our backyard is finished, plans to plant kale, spinach, peppers and maybe some others in our raised garden bed in the backyard. I want our boys to learn to be self sufficient. I know we aren't going off the grid or anything but slowly, we are making large changes in what is, in my opinion the right direction.
 
 
We have this nice little cutout in the wall between our front room and dining room. I can't think of a better use for this space than this can you?
 
 
Another upside to these gardens is Gage getting to help with them. He really wanted to plant flowers so in the small pots I let him plant some flowers. Each day they sprout a little more and he gets so excited that he has to show me, mama and his dad. He has been very good about watering them as well. It really makes my heart happy and proud to see him take part in these changes. Kayson will grow up with these changes while Gage is having to go through them with us. Two very different journeys.
 
We are almost finished renovating our backyard. We moved things around flattened out the ground and got a 15 foot pool for the summer. Our family loves swimming. We have been spending a lot more time outside as well. Whether we just sit in the backyard while the kids play or we go to the park and all get in on the fun we are making it a point to be outside. Electronics play a huge roll in our home and I am wanting to cut that down significantly. Fingers crossed this transition doesn't come to hard for us.
 
 
With that being said, I'll just leave this here:
 
 
 
Have you made any lifestyle changes?


No comments:

Post a Comment